This week we began duck taping our boat frame, which looks very sturdy, actually. The taping process has turned out to be an awfully time consuming step in the completion of this project. All week we used every physics class period to tape. The first day was rather sloppy looking, but as we moved along the side of the boat we increased in speed and created an overall, better appearance. As of yesterday, about three minutes after the end of class, we finished the first layer of tape around our entire boat. Our boat is fairly large, so this we was quite productive in terms of just how much we accomplished. Next week, we plan on adding two more layers of tape to ensure our security and the stability of the boat. We also plan on adding the word ‘Titanic’ to side of the boat in the light blue duck tape we purchased. This may prove a very ironic name if the boat does end up sinking. Hopefully, this doesn’t happen. Anyways, we’ve made a lot of progress in the last few weeks. Our project can actually be identified as a boat now, instead of a few random pieces of cattle panel. Although this part of the project is going to take longer than expected, we are very close to being able to sail our boat. We are excited to finally reach the end of this project and see if our hard work does in fact, pay off. Or not. If not, we will be prepared to start a new project with optimism and move forward from this horrible failure. Honestly, I think we are all praying that doesn’t happen. 🙂 By the way, Physics is a lot of fun and we are extremely happy that we chose to take this class!
Here are a few pictures of our progress this week.